I have a good friend, Adele, who is an excellent financial advisor. We speak often about our businesses and the similarities between our industries. On the outside, how different can it get!? She deals with money, debt and wealth creation and we deal with fat loss, emotional/binge eating and confidence.
HOWEVER – every week here at Chase Life, we have people reaching out to us who are caught in the constant, never ending cycle of binge eating. As part of their initial message they also often say something like…
“My finances are a mess and I can’t afford to get help right now.”
They often add other things too…
“I’m going through a really difficult time.”
“Work is just so crazy.”
Here is the TRUTH – the REAL problem that keeps you stuck in binge eating is exactly the same problem that is causing your struggles with your finances (and your relationships, and with stress & overwhelm!)
Like an unfiltered thunderbolt here it comes…..
> You don’t know how to regulate your emotions so you reach for food to numb yourself or make yourself feel better.
> You also make irrational, emotional decisions with your spending.
> You also struggle to earn more, whether that’s getting a promotion or growing your business.
> You also hide away from the important issues in your life, such as budgeting & financial planning, and instead seek short term distraction and comfort.
> You fail to take FULL ownership and responsibility for your position. No matter how bad, or what has happened to you, or how you got into it, or who put you there, it is now 100% your responsibility to get out.
I spoke to a lady last week and asked her how much her binge eating was affecting her finances.
She said, “not much.” Then with a few more delving questions we discovered that she was spending at least $50 per week on binge foods.
That’s $2600 per year!
She was also leaving at least $1000 per month on the table with her coaching business.
That’s an additional $12,000 per year!
And that’s before we get into other emotional spending and poor financial planning…..
Perhaps you also struggle with low self worth and again, seek comfort in food. That’s also going to affect your relationships.
Maybe, because of that low self worth, you test your partner and push their buttons because you want them to prove you’re still worthy of love no matter what. Or perhaps you’re jealous and secretly checking their phone. Or you’re constantly seeking reassurance from them.
Or perhaps you struggle to get a relationship or you end up dating low value shit bags because you don’t feel good enough and allow others to treat you horribly.
You see, issues that drive binge eating such as low self worth, perfectionism, over-analysing, over-thinking, chronic worry, and so on are ALSO sabotaging your finances, relationships, happiness, and creating all the stress & chaos in your life. That’s NEVER going to go away until you address the source of the problem.
So if you’re waiting for the stress and chaos to disappear before you feel like you’ve got the time or capacity to fix your binge eating issues you’ll be waiting forever. THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME PROBLEM!
Part 1 Summary – we covered that the REAL issues that keep you stuck in binge eating, emotional eating, and a disordered relationship with food, are the same issues that keep your life in chaos. Whether that be financial struggles, relationship issues, or constant stress & overwhelm.
So here are your options from here:
1. Go it alone
2. Hire a coach/mentor
Let’s be completely honest about the reality of these options.
This is not about over-exaggeration it’s about acknowledging the TRUTH that you may have been ignoring, or hadn’t even considered before…
1) GOING IT ALONE
– You don’t have to spend any money short term.
– You keep spending money for irrational and emotional reasons as we just mentioned.
– You don’t have the benefit of somebody else pointing out your blindspots. You don’t know what you don’t know, so you have to keep searching, learning, and studying. It’s taken us (Rachel and David) a combined total of about 30 years to develop the expertise, insights and distinctions that enable us to get the results we deliver for our clients.
– You don’t have somebody there to point out the inevitable mistakes that we all make when learning something new.
– Most people start out with all the best intentions, but very quickly the old conditioning drags them back down and they lose momentum, motivation, or consistency.
– The more time goes by without clarity & certainty, the more you’re at risk of losing hope. Inevitably after spending a long time trying to figure it out alone you start asking yourself questions like, “What’s wrong with me? Why can’t I do this? What if I’m just meant to be this way?”
2) HIRING A COACH
– Yes you will have to spend money! If you want a serious solution that works where other approaches fail, you have to be willing to invest financially, as well as with your time, effort, and commitment.
– You get clarity and certainty because you’ve hired a great coach, with a proven track record, who is committed to you and your success.
– You fix so much more than just binge eating. You address the real issues that are driving not only your binge eating, but your low self worth, procrastination, financial self sabotage, and emotional struggles. You set yourself up for life, not just the next few weeks or months.
– You have an expert to point out your blindspots, correct your mistakes, keep you accountable, and support you every step of the way.
When it comes to things you’re just “interested” in, it makes sense to go it alone.
When it comes to a MAJOR life problem, would you rather risk years trying to figure it out on your own, or would you rather invest in a great coach, with a proven track record, who is committed to your success?
The only resource you can never get back is TIME! The choice is yours and one you should fully own.